Time, Tradition, and Tackles: HoCo 2018

Reflecting on Homecoming Past and Present

Homecoming is an American tradition that started in the early 1900s, and ever since then the traditions that surround HoCo have evolved and adapted with the times. In 2018 we face a lot of pressure to keep up the set-in-stone traditions that previous classes have practiced. But it doesn’t always mean that each class can’t put their own spin on the classic High School traditions. From the giant Mums, to the Homecoming Dance, to the thrill of the Football game, Homecoming is always evolving to reflect the era, whether the year is 1968 0r 2018.

The Mums have always been a major part of Homecoming in Texas, and show no signs of fizzling out anytime soon. From giant flowers, candy, or even teddy bears there are so many different and unique styles that can be seen all around campus on the big day.

“I couldn’t tell you the best mum I’ve seen at Weatherford high school. There are so many!” said the 2018 Homecoming Queen, senior Londyn Gray. “Though I’d have to say I’m more of a modest-mum kind of person. But if yours has lights and weighs 20 pounds, I’ll still be fascinated.”

When asked about her senior homecoming at WHS, counselor Mrs. Harnett revealed the differences in Homecoming traditions in 1968.

“The mums [had] fresh flowers and there was only one flower on the arrangement,” Hartnett said. “The arrangements were much smaller than they are now. The most unique mums I have ever seen are the big ones.”

However, Mums are not only seen throughout the school day. While decorating the bleachers, they are seen well into the football game. The football game is another crucial aspect of Homecoming for High School students across the Nation.

“I did go to the football game this year and I had the opportunity to be a part of Roo Crew, so I spent the game down on the sidelines cheering on the [team],” Jackson said.

And along with the game came the crowning of Homecoming King and Queen, voted on by the student body. The winners were Londyn Gray and Jake Spooner.

“Winning homecoming queen was in a word, cool. It became meaningful when I began to think about why people voted for me,” Gray said. “I’m far from being the most popular person in the school, so I would like to think people voted for me because I had a positive impact on them, not because I had the biggest friend group. If this is truly why I won, then winning the crown was a very humbling moment.”

But through thick and thin, wet and dry, the players, crowd, cheerleaders, belles, Roo Crew, and even the band stuck it out through the entirety of the game, cheering on our beloved Roos the whole time.

“We did not have Roo Crew [in 1968].  We had four flag bears, six cheerleaders, six twirlers, and the band,” Mrs. Hartnett said. “We also had a bonfire the night before the Homecoming game – after the parade.”

Even though we can no longer have a bonfire there is still so much spirit surrounding the team and the entire stadium.

“It is the only football game that everybody shows up to, plus my family gets to come,” junior Brooklyn Mills said.

After the game had ended, the students went home tired and ready for the next night where the Homecoming Dance would take place. The entire school was buzzing with excitement while anticipating a night of masked fun at the Masquerade Ball.

“We had a dance after every home game at the Youth Center at Cherry Park,” Mrs. Hartnett said. “There were live bands and it was packed full of students. It was great.”

With school pride raging after a very intense game and an extremely thrilling dance, this year’s homecoming left a legacy of a place where good memories were made and traditions were carried out for another year: no matter how long ago they were developed.

“I do think I’ll come to future homecomings,” Jackson said. “I’d love to come back when I’m older to see how things have changed and how the school has developed.”

“Homecoming unites the past and the present.” ~Author Unknown

Time, Tradition, and Tackles: HoCo 2018