Cutting Edge Talent

Need a Fade? A Trim? We Have a Barber for You.

COVID wasn’t all bad. For Sunel Cuevas, he found his calling. During the long COVID lockdown, when barber shops were shut down, Cuevas’ brother asked him for a haircut even though he hasn’t cut hair before.

He did it anyway, And liked it. He would practice day after day, each time getting better at it. “That’s when I really started coming to him because he knew how to do fades really well,” said Ethan Roman, a WHS senior. “He can even do designs.

Now I trust him on any kind of hair style.” It’s fascinating how an idea can turn into a passion. Now, Cuevas is one of the most recognizable and determined barbers on campus. And just out of curiosity, Cuevas started researching the profession and found that it came with good pay and many benefits, such as making money quickly and spending quality time with friends and family.

He’s not far from his family when he works, primarily evenings and weekends. Saturdays can bring five to 10 clients to his “shed,” a 10 x 13 structure sitting in the backyard of his family’s home. The shed is all white on the inside with lighted mirrors, a barber chair, and all of his stylist equipment in reaching distance. At first, clients were coming through his family home. “I really didn’t like people coming in through my house all the time,” Cuevas said.

“That had to change. So I got a little spot in the backyard.” There might have been times when Cuevas thought of quitting, wondering if it was something that would keep his attention over time. But as he saw one of his friends graduate from high school and reach his goals, this became his motivation to stay with barbering. He enrolled in WHS’ Cosmetology program.

Even though Cuevas has had many successes, he has not let that get in the way of changing the person he truly is. In his years of barbering, his social interactions have gotten stronger and more “out there.” Cuevas has had the chance to cut the hair of people from different walks of life, like a Marine. He now has a client list of about 50 and counting.

Cuevas expresses a productive side of himself that demonstrates how he might not have everything, yet he does what he can with the things he does have. Cuevas had to learn how to be a businessman, too. Price-wise, he used to charge a different amount because most people would give him $40. He was happy with that. Yet it seemed unfair to charge people who wanted regular haircuts the same amount as those who needed more precise haircuts.

Cuevas’ doesn’t have a barber role model, but he does have someone he likes to emulate. That’s his father. “I look up to my dad but don’t want to be exactly like him so that I can express myself as well,” Cuevas said. “He might have a fourth to sixth-grade education, but he is the smartest and most hardworking person I know.”

Cuevas will continue to pursue his dream of becoming a barber after high school because, for him, it’s easy, and it helps him get fast money. More importantly, it helps relieve stress. Even though Cuevas’ passion might be barbering, he stays busy with many other things. Outside school, he is the drummer in a family band. He even helps tint cars. Many young students give up on their dream of becoming a barber because it is difficult to start fresh.

Cuevas thinks otherwise. He said it is actually more challenging than it seems. “First of all, you have to be passionate about what you do; you may think, ‘Where do I start?’” Cuevas said. “But, you already have the first support group, starting with your friends.

My advice would be to start with your friends. It will be less awkward in any setting that it’s in.” Overall, Cuevas has overcome and faced many situations that have made him a popular barber. Undoubtedly, he will become a successful person with his barbering skills and humble personality. If there is something to take from this, it’s this Cuevas quote: By Emily Gomez Need a Fade? A Trim? We Have a Barber for You. “Don’t be dumb. Make good decisions.”