Student POV – Senior

• What advice do you have for an incoming 9th or 10th grader?

Don’t take the time you have for granted, but always remain responsible and continue on the academic journey. I remember I had such an easy time in my sophomore year, taking dual credit classes and having off periods, living the life… but I was irresponsible and allowed myself to neglect my work. The neglect affected my grades, and I am dealing with the effects to this day. Have the best time you can but do so while succeeding and being the best student you can be.

• What does Roo Nation mean to you?

Roo Nation to me is an opportunity. There are hundreds of opportunities in our community and in our high school specifically for students to effect change, and grow themselves, and others. I chose to do dual credit, AP, and join clubs such as ROOted, FCA, and DECA, which all gave me the opportunity to succeed and impact others in the process. These are only a couple out of the hundreds of opportunities that Roo Nation provides and I have been impacted greatly by them.

• How are you involved at school?

At school, other than academics, I am currently involved in two main clubs which are FCA and DECA. I help teach FCA every Wednesday, preparing a lesson for the community we have at school to hear the word of God and the Gospel. Most of my time is dedicated, however, to DECA. I am the student President of DECA, and I have dedicated my time every day at school to representing DECA. From the DECA school store to going to Houston for our State Career Development Conference, DECA has been the single biggest thing in my high school life apart from academics and the influence FCA has had on our students spiritually.

• Who or what is your biggest inspiration?

My biggest inspiration is my dad. He is an entrepreneur and a man who is always thinking of ways to succeed and be different. Everything I have today, I can thank him for. He has pushed me to work and to deal with my failures responsibly. From building fences and welding sheds to learning the stock market, he has influenced my career and my attitude from day 1. Most importantly, he has always taught me to give all the glory to God. The one thing that has made everything possible, even the opportunity to write for the school newsletter, is God and his eternal plan for my life.

• What has been your favorite memory while at WHS?

My favorite memory at WHS hands down has to be while in DECA. Going to state my sophomore year in Houston with my sister as my competitive partner in the “Entrepreneurship Team Decision-Making Series” was a blast. We had to leave a day early as there was a big ice storm coming through town so that enabled us to have an extra day in Houston to have fun and bond as a group in DECA. There were probably 15 other people who went to state as well and we all grew in friendship. I was the only Sophomore who went to state, and it was very cool to get to know all the older kids who knew my sister but not her little brother. I dreamed of going to state again and that dream came true this year. If anyone wants to know how they can maximize their fun and their experiences in high school, join an organization. Specifically, join DECA. I promise you will not regret it.

• Any highlights this year?

Some highlights this year are the fact that I will get to attend the Optimist Student of the Month banquet, be inducted into NTHS, serve as President of DECA, lead FCA in bible studies, help run the school store, attend state CDC, and honestly, every little detail from every day has been a highlight. It’s my senior year so, everything starts to become important realizing that after this year, I will have made all the memories I can make here at WHS.

• What are your plans after graduation?

After I graduate, I plan to attend Tarleton for a year and then transfer to Texas A&M University. I used the PSA program for A&M to get admitted which was kind of a cool deal. I will be doing some equipment operating work as well as working in the stock market while I am in college. After I save up a bunch of money while studying at Tarleton, I will go to CSTAT and get my degree in Business, hopefully attaining my MBA, with a specific study in Finance or Economics. (I have yet to make that decision.)

• Favorite quote(s)?

I don’t have any favorite quotes. But I do have some bible verses that I think are important for anyone to read. John 14:6 “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”