McKnight in Shining Armor

Mason Castner recieves McKnight Scholariship to OSU.

by Lucia Lopez

Almost every high school student who plans on continuing to college after graduation is haunted by the infamous concept of tuition; over the years, the cost of attendance at most colleges has increased dramatically, becoming notorious for cutting large dents into family savings or forcing students into long-term loans. Rare is the student who manages to acquire a significantly large scholarship, let alone a full ride; however, Mason Castner happens to be one of the select students granted the privilege of a free college education, all through hard work and dedication.

The Ross and Billie McKnight program is aimed toward students in rural Texas who plan on concentrating in agriculture. It is through the McKnight scholarship that Castner was able to land a massive $50,000 for Oklahoma State University.

“I first heard of the scholarship late last year,” Castner said. “Someone won a similar award and my parents helped me research and begin the application process.”

To apply to the McKnight program, Castner had to be part of numerous activities and obtain valuable leadership positions in such activities. Because the scholarship required both academics and leadership, it is vital for aspirants to begin working on their resume early on.

“It’s necessary to keep good grades and to get involved in as many clubs as possible,” Castner said. “I’ve been part of the Junior Ambassador program here at school for two years now, this will also be my fourth year as part of the FFA and I’ve been part of the South Main Church of Christ youth group for six years. I didn’t join any of these activities to get the scholarship. I did them to get the leadership experience and be involved in the community, still, all these activities were very important part of my resume and helped me so much during the application process.”

Building relationships with people in the community was also significant for Castner to compete. With the help of both his family and those around the community, he strengthened his chance to get the scholarship.

“My dad was the one who found everything.” Castner said. “He researched and told me what was needed, both my parents helped me so much, also, Peggy Hutton from the Chamber of Commerce wrote me a recommendation letter.”

Castner will attend OSU during the fall. He claims that while both his parents and his brother are OSU alumni, it was the stunning campus and the vast agricultural programs the college offers that convinced him to attend.

“I’m planning on majoring in a type of animal and plant science called Agronomy,” Castner said. “The Ag programs at the school are some of the best in Texas.”

Although Castner, like any other graduating high school senior, admits the application process proved tedious and at times overwhelming, the results awaiting those who have maintained diligence throughout school and patience during the application are incomparable.

“After all the hard work I’ve put in, working my way up to leadership positions in the community and taking on the responsibilities that come with such positions are worth everything,” Castner said. “It all paid off in the end, and I couldn’t have been rewarded in any better way.”

McKnight in Shining Armor