National Get Funky Day

Annual event to move to the groove.
National Get Funky Day

On October 5th, we at WHS Grassburr would like to celebrate National Get Funky Day.

After Hurricane Matthew hit Florida in 2016, a fitness center in St. Augustine called Funkytown Fitness came together to help strangers cheer up through the moves of the groove. The Registrar at the National Day Calendar declared October 5th “National Get Funky Day” starting in 2017.

The goal for National Get Funky Day is to get out of your comfort zone and liberate yourself through the power of dance and Funk. 

Our top song picks for National Get Funky Day include hits by Wild Cherry, Marvin Gaye, and Stevie Wonder. Some songs to add to your National Get Funky Playlist are:

Wild Cherries – “Play that Funky Music”

Marvin Gaye – “Got to Give It Up”

Parliament – “One Nation Under a Groove”

Rick James – “Super Freak”

Carl Carlton – “She a Bad Mama Jama”

Stevie Wonder – “Higher Ground”

Sly – “Thank You”

Commodores – “Brick House”

Lipps Inc. – “Funkytown”

Kool and the Gang – “Get Down On It”

Earth Wind and Fire – “Shining Star”

Funkytown Fitness explains that to celebrate National Get Funky day, you should “Wear your brightest clothes, dance to happy music, smile, laugh, let your hair down, high five and hug people. Have a party, help a neighbor, be positive and have fun! Whatever you do, step out of your comfort zone and Get Funky! The goal is to generate as much positivity as possible so that the day will go down as the funkiest in history.”

National Get Funky Day