Friends We’re Thankful For: Kolby Kersten and Aubrey Dillinger

In high school, friends are formed under the bright friday night lights; but best friends are the ones who stay by each others side even after the lights have dimmed. From the cafeteria, to classrooms, the gymnasium, and the stadium sidelines, Aubrey Dillinger and Kolby Kersten have stuck be each other’s sides since the 7th grade.

In the back of the library, Kolby and Aubrey cheerfully laughed and chatted with each other and shared their story of their friendship. They first met in the awkward years of middle school in their 7th grade English Class at Hall Middle School where Kolby apparently “broke a desk,” but it was cheer that truly brought them together.

“We really got close in cheer the following year,” Aubrey said. “We did middle school cheer together in 8th grade and we really became closer.”   

After middle school, their bond and passion for cheer only grew as they pushed themselves to new levels of competition. Last year, Aubrey and Kolby were Junior Varsity cheer captains together.

“In cheer we don’t necessarily get along together, but outside of cheer we’re like best friends,” Aubrey said.

Although cheer is what created their lasting friendship in the beginning, it also has its downsides. However, through learning to balance their vying partnership and personal friendship has only strengthened their trust with one another.

“We understand our boundaries better,” Kolby said.

But their friendship grows beyond the competitive nature of cheer. In times of adolescence struggle and the confusion of teenage years, friends are the ones who guide and who provide condolence.

“I know I always go to him,” Aubrey said. “He is always there for me to talk to or cry to.”

Students in modern society often contort their persona when trying to discover who they are. For Kolby,their affinity is one where no filters or walls are needed in their friendship as they mature and grow alongside each other.  

“I like that I can always be myself around her,” Kolby said. “She is always a positive person.”

Aubrey and Kolby’s bond reveals the true meaning of friendship– sometimes all that is needed is one person, one person to help you conquer the adventure of life and accept the other for all of their flaws and strengths.

“He is always there,” Aubrey said with Kolby in agreement, “She is always there for me.”