Where Gilmore Girls Leads, Its Fans Will Follow

Revisiting the popular series after its revival series and addressing rumors of a new season.

Amy Sherman-Palladino, the creator of the popular show Gilmore Girls, released a revival series, Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life, airing on Netflix in 2016. Six years later fans still can not get enough of the famous mother-daughter duo, including me.

Although I find the term “superfan” to be too nerdy a word to describe my love for the show, it is quite fitting, having watched the entire series more than ten times through. Anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I am attached to Gilmore Girls and its characters because I heavily relate to the plot.

The seven season series centers around the story of a young girl, Rory Gilmore, and her mother, Lorelai Gilmore who have a very close relationship due to the fact that Lorelai had Rory at 16 years old. In episodes full of comical drama and pop culture, the show follows the girls’ lives through Rory’s high school and college years and Lorelai’s success in running her own business. However, one of the most intriguing and popular aspects of the show is that of their never-ending romance troubles.

Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life centers around Rory’s crumbling love life and brings back extensive debates on who the best boyfriend of hers was: first love Dean, bad boy Jess, or college sweetheart Logan. Fans have taken to creating “teams” for each boy similar to Vampire Diaries’ Team Stefan and Team Damon. I’m no Vampire Diaries fan but when it comes to Gilmore Girls I am team Logan all the way. Although revealed to be engaged in the revival series, he is no doubt Rory’s perfect match. His karisma and drive in the business world mixed with his reckless abandon in his social world perfectly balances out Rory’s perfectionist tendencies. He was ready to settle down with the young Gilmore after three years together but she foolishly rejected his proposal because, as we see in the reboot, she is still pining for him years later. A Year In The Life ends in a cliffhanger leaving us to wonder whether Logan ended his arranged marriage and left his French fiancé for Rory or if Rory ends up lonely as ever.

This kind of heartbreaking, closureless type of drama is what has kept the show’s reruns on mine and thousands of other watchers’ TVs for over ten years since its finale in 2007. Because of this abrupt end of the series, fans have had no choice but to brainstorm their own happy endings to Rory’s relationship drama as a form of closure but are still holding on hope that there will be a continuation of A Year In The Life due to Lauren Graham’s (the actress who brings the character of Lorelai Gilmore to life) comment in April of 2021.

“There is not a plan for it. Everyone is doing their own thing. If that came up again, I love that character so much and I love Amy. I will work with her any time.” Graham said.

Because of the optimism peaking through in Graham’s interview with Collider there have been numerous rumors of a second season of the reboot but to my, and most other fans’ dismay, no confirmation from Palladino.