How the Pumpkin Church Got its Name

Every year, as the fall season approaches, a semi-truck from Pumpkin Patch USA full to the brim with 2,500 pumpkins gets unloaded by members of Central Christian Church in Weatherford Texas on the front lawn of the church. After 16 years of selling pumpkins, Central Christian Church has earned the name “The Pumpkin Church” within the Weatherford community.

The proceeds from the pumpkin patch go towards sending kids from the sixth grade age group up to the twelfth grade age group to places like California, Florida, and even Washington, D.C. where the students have participated in formal events honoring fallen soldiers.

“Being a part of that is very impressive, and something that they’ll never forget.” administrative assistant of Central Christian Church, Joy Ellis said.

What started out as simply a way to make money for youth mission trips, has since blossomed into a yearly comfort as well as family activity for locals. The pumpkin patch not only has an abundance of different size pumpkins and other gourds, but also a photo booth and friendly volunteers from the church that can make pumpkin picking as a family a fun experience.

The idea for the annual pumpkin sales sprouted when someone from the church saw other churches in the area doing the same thing. Ellis says that Central Christina Church’s incredible luck in the amount of money they make has to do with “location, location, location.” She insinuates if the church wasn’t visible to people driving by on Main Street, they would not make nearly as much money.

“We’re just very lucky that this is such a visual here because we don’t have to advertise.”
Ellis said.

Over their many years of tending to a pumpkin patch, the members of the church have worked hard to create a seamless experience for customers from adding credit card payments to the multitude of ways to pay for a pumpkin, to making sure the pumpkins are rotated so they don’t rot.

“If we didn’t do it we would disappoint a whole lot of people.” Ellis said.

Schools and retirement homes visit the popular pumpkin patch on day trips and even family pictures are taken among the big orange gourds. This growing tradition isn’t just a way to make money anymore, it’s something for the whole community to look forward to and take part in.

How the Pumpkin Church Got its Name