Seven Tips to Survive High School

Are you a freshman or sophomore struggling to develop a high school routine? Then these tips are for you!

Lets face it, high school is hard. Especially if you’re a freshman or sophomore still trying to adjust to the high school life, but tips like these can help you get through the year with ease…for the first two years at least!

1.  Get involved.

Clubs, extracurriculars, volunteer opportunities, whatever it may be, it’s always a good idea to immerse yourself in school activities! Not only are opportunities like these a great way to make friends, but they are essential to creating an impressive college application. Plus, if offers a way to spend more time doing the things you love doing and can even help you prepare for your future career!

“Even if you don’t know what you’d like to do in the future, extracurriculars are a way to explore the different pathways and careers for when I leave high school,” Junior Melanie Ramirez said.

2. Lunch Seating

A portion of the school year has already passed, but it in order to have a good high school lunch experience it is crucial to find the perfect seating area during lunch. Find a nice place where you and your friends can sit, begin arriving early, and sit there everyday to establish yourself at that table or area!

3. Establish a good work ethic.

As redundant as it may sound, establishing a balance between sports, jobs, extracurriculars, school work, and a social life is one of the best advantages you can give yourself to succeed in high school. Cut down on your procrastination and put your time management skills to practice, you’ll thank yourself later on!

4.  It’s never too early to start test prep!

Especially if you are striving to attend a selective university, it’s never a bad idea to begin studying preparations throughout your sophomore year. This way, you’ll ease some of your future rigorous workload that’s bound to come with the academically heavy junior year.

5.  Organizations/Grades

Apps like Grades are a lifesaver when it comes to mastering organization! Grades allows you to customize your classes by inserting your own assignments, tests, quizzes and an overall target grade you are aiming for in a specific six weeks. After inserting your assignments, Grades will let you know which particular grade you should strive for in each assignment so that you will be able to reach your six weeks goal!

Junior Yesenia Perez said, “It’s really important to take freshman year seriously because it builds the foundation of your gpa.”

6.  Get to know your counselor.

Whether it be a problem with your schedule or your personal well-being, it is essential to feel comfortable enough with your counselor to be able to ask for help. Chances are, you’ll be with that same counselor for the rest of your time at high school!

7.  Remember that Grades aren’t everything.

Even though most of these tips are directed towards academic success, it’s crucial to recognize that grades are not the most important thing about school. Take grades seriously, but make sure to establish a balance between your school work and your social life. Revolving your high school life around grades is one of the easiest ways to burn yourself out, so set aside time to spend with the people you love and the things you enjoy doing!

Seven Tips to Survive High School