Follow The Yellow Brick Road

This Thursday, January 30th, the theater department will proudly premiere their spring musical The Wizard of Oz. Four shows will be held in Durant Auditorium from January 30 through February 1, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. on both days.

“[The past few days] have been incredibly busy,” junior Paulie Cocke, who will be playing Dorothy, said. “We’ve been working hard to pull this together, but I’m exited. This is the first time I’ve gotten the main role and it’s on my favorite movie.”

For weeks, the entire cast and crew has been preparing for opening night, rehearsing and building the set. Recently, work has not been done until 11 at night.

“Opening night is the night of nerves,” Cocke said. “”I’m really nervous, but I’m super exited. I’ve been in many organizations in the past, and I can tell you very few have worked as hard as this one.”

The Wizard of Oz, based on L Frank Baum’s 1902 children’s novel, follows young Dorothy, her canine comrade Toto, and a group of unexpected friends around the Land of Oz.

“I think what’s different about this play is that it’s based on fantasy. The past few years we’ve done plays based on regular people.” junior Cole Lucas, who will play a braggart and a flying monkey, said. “The audience is in for a big surprise because this year, it’s a whole new world.”

Tickets will be available this week during lunch and at the door during the showings. Tickets are $10 and children under 5 enter for free. For $3, students can attend a preview of the play, which will be held on Friday during club time. For any questions, contact theater director Angela Arthurs at 817-598-2858 Ext 3544.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road