National Athletic Training Month

National Athletic Training Month is held every March to spread awareness about the important work of athletic trainers. Athletic Trainers are allied healthcare professionals. Athletic Trainers are educated and trained in 6 major practice domains:

* Prevention
* Clinical Evaluation and Diagnosis
* Immediate Care
* Treatment, Rehabilitation, and Reconditioning
* Organization and Administration
* Professional Responsibility

Weatherford employs 2 full-time athletic trainers – Coach Dylan Dawson and Coach Kim Matus. Coach Dawson and Coach Matus are both nationally certified and state-licensed athletic trainers. Along with providing game and practice coverage to Weatherford High School events, our athletic trainers treat students in the clinic, teach Sports Medicine courses at WHS and the NGC, and run an Athletic Training Student Assistant program. Students in the program assist the ATs in the clinic, athletic program practices, and games. Students are educated and trained in first aid, recognizing environmental illnesses like heat exhaustion and heat stroke, preventative taping, anatomy, and kinesiology, as well as therapeutic modalities and exercise. The Weatherford Athletic Training program has 21 students this year. Many past students in the Athletic Training Program have pursued education and careers in the medical field.

Dylan Dawson MSAT, ATC, LAT
Head Athletic Trainer
Weatherford High School