The Roo Football Family

Tonight the Varsity Roo Football team will take on Lubbock Cooper at the Kangaroo Stadium. Get to know the boys in blue representing Roo Nation on the field!
Shelby Gilley

This year will be one for the books where Roo football is concerned! The new additions to the WHS coaching staff have brought a new attitude and hope for the Kangaroo football program, teaching them the importance of hard work, Roo-Pride, and of course the fun behind the sport itself.

Roo pride is the foundation of the Weatherford football program; Weatherford athletes do not take Roo Pride lightly. It’s the basis to all Weatherford High students as a whole, but Roo Pride is especially important to Roo football boys. It means something different to everyone.

“I haven’t been a part of the program as long as my other teammates, but seeing them and knowing how much they care about our town and our program is such a cool experience,” sophomore, Ken Seals said. “Especially watching them work towards their goals and standing up for what they believe in. I’m really looking forward to the season ahead of us and I know Weatherford is going to do great things.”

The new coaching staff have done a great job so far changing our football athletes way of approaching new ways to get things done, with new drills such as JV vs Varsity scrimmages and workouts at a higher pace than last years, the coaching staff is pushing our athletes to the next level.  Success and improvement is the goal of this football season! The football athletes are confident in the new faces leading them into the upcoming season.

“I feel like the attitude and determination mindset of the team has improved a lot, like we are a lot more focused and passionate about our job and responsibilities on the field,” junior Lukas Loran said. “We have worked so hard and were ready for the season.”

Coach Mathis has created new expectations on the football boys, that he not just expects them to meet but to exceed. He has given them a sense of teamwork, by including more drills working on the football teams as a whole. Therefore, everyone is improving by running team drills which creates a positive atmosphere. By learning how to work together as a whole, they’re leaving it all out on the field this year.

“Coach Mathis has made us better at doing our job correctly and precise,” senior, William Gonzales said. “He has affected the whole team in a positive way and that’s why I think we’ll have a great season.”

Whether it’s the roaring Weatherford fans, the rough and tumble of the sport, or the close bonds formed on the team, the Roo football athletes are excited just simply to play the sport they love.

“My favorite part about football would have to be the feeling that knowing that the game is on the line,” said freshmen, Mathis Otey. “It comes down to every person doing their job wholeheartedly to win the game.”

The Roo fans are for sure excited to see where this season of hope and new beginnings takes our football players this season. The players are excited and ready for those Thursday and Friday night lights! Above all, Weatherford is ready to support our WISD Football program and show our Roo-Pride this football season.

The Roo Football Family