Varsity Softball Faces Martin Tonight

unknown

By Erin Arnett and Jessie Allen

She stands at the plate, the crowd holding their breath as the pitcher stares down the batter. Everyone is tense with anticipation; will it be a strike, a homerun, or a ball? The outfielders hope for a fly ball, desperate to participate. The batter’s muscles move fluidly as she swings and the crack of the bat is soon drowned out by the crowd’s roar of approval, as another run is gained by the WHS girls‘ varsity softball team.

Over the past several years, the girls’ varsity softball team has been consistently successful on the field. With only one game left and a secured spot in the playoffs, the Lady Roos currently stand 13-1 in district and 27-4 overall.

“Softball is one of the most successful sports here because [the players] all love the game and we are dedicated to the sport,” varsity player Tawnye Bramlett said.

Many of the girls have played since they were children, and much of the team has been working together since the little league days. They agree that this has played key roll in their triumph this season.

“The softball team this year is probably the closest team that has ever come through WHS,” player Darrian Ross said. “[We have] grown up together, playing since we were about 8.”

All of their success has come from their intense drive to better themselves in their sport. Team members sacrifice endless hours to make sure that they are presenting their best.

“A typical day at practice is quick pace. We joke around but we know when to get serious,” Ross said. “We focus on the things we need to work in and perfect things to the fullest.”

Tonight at 6 pm, the team will face Arlington Martin in the last game of the season at Western Hills High School in Benbrook. For varsity seniors, it will be a bittersweet moment, but they will leave behind a strong history for their successors to build upon.

“[My] advice to future players would be to follow your dreams [and] don’t let someone bring you down ever,” Ross said. “Work hard and accomplish all goals set, no matter the obstacles you have to overcome.”

IMG_6550a

Varsity Softball Faces Martin Tonight