Dress Code: The Right to Bare Arms

Dress code is a big part of our everyday lives. Whether we like it or not, it is something students have to follow like we would a rule our parents have set in place for us. The dress code for this year had people talking at the beginning of the year and still does. A lot of girls ask why we can’t wear sleeveless shirts, and other people ask why we can’t dye our hair unnatural colors.

“I believe the school needs a dress code but I also think that it shouldn’t take away from a student expressing themselves, within reason of course,” said sophomore Breanna Sarslow.

The dress code that we as a school have adapted over the years is a bit different than it was back in 2000-2003, when Mrs. Varnon, a WHS teacher, was here as a student.

“The no sleeves rule is different. We could wear sleeveless shirts as long as they had 2-inch straps,” said Mrs. Varnon.

Mrs. Varnon remembers the school board banning “flip-flops of any kind”. Sometimes the dress code can be challenging to uphold because of the new styles and trends that arise within the fashion industry, especially when we come back from summer break and are wearing tank tops. Some of the students of WHS support the dress code and think it’s a good thing.

The trends have changed over the years, and back in 2003, they didn’t have holes in jeans, velvet shirts, or shirts that are transparent. Times are changing and we see it through fashion. It’s very hard to express yourself when you are a young person who is not fully developed in the social aspect and also trying to find a style that fits you and your personality.

“I think it is ALWAYS important to continue the dialogue between students, staff, and community as our dress code evolves. I also believe in the importance of allowing students to understand WHY certain regulations in dress code are put in place,” Mrs. Varnon said.

The students here at Weatherford High School are very conflicted because of the dress code; some of the students agree with the dress code and others do not.

“Currently I think there are some things in the dress code that are unreasonable. For example, no rings in your nose only a stud, not showing of the shoulders, no holes above where your fingertips hit, within obvious reason, and no hair color allowed,” Sarslow said.

Some of the dress codes from surrounding schools are more strict than ours. For example, Springtown definitely has a more strict dress code than WHS. Their shorts can’t be any more than 6 inches above the knee.

“I think that school enforced dress code is a good thing to have because most of the time it keeps people from wearing pretty much nothing. As far as different dress codes for boys and girls goes, I think that the majority of the dress code could carry over for both,” said junior Tristan Cleveland.

Our school has changed a lot over the past 14 years in the sense of working with the students and listening to them to get their thoughts about the school. Dress code is always going to be changing. It may not always be according to the current trends, but it is always going to be there for people to scrutinize and critique. It is there to hold our standards high along with our level of professionalism, but it is also there to be challenged by the student body because times are changing and so is the dress code.

Dress Code: The Right to Bare Arms