VOTING? The Magnitude of Voting in a Tied Election

For many of the Class of 2017’s, this election will be the seniors’ first chance to transition into the political world by voting for not only the new president, but also the country’s future. However, the options for many are grim when faced with the dishonest Hillary Clinton and the immoral Donald Trump as people question who to vote for – if anyone at all.

The right to vote has been a fought for privilege since the establishment of the country which was founded on the ideals of a government formed “for the people, by the people,” but this democracy only works if the people use their say to vote for representatives.

“I believe it is your duty to vote,” sophomore, Hayley Vantine said. “Voting is the way your voice is heard in the government, and it is your responsibility to make your voice heard.”

But even though voting is a privilege granted to the citizens of the  U.S.A, 85 percent of people believe mandatory voting is a bad idea, proving that although a person should take a stand in the political decisions of the country, voting has to be a choice given to the people. However, many question the significance of a single individual’s vote on a large scale basis such as the prior executive election of 2000 surrounding Bush vs Gore when the popular vote was negated at the hands of the electoral college.

“The significance of one person’s vote is non-existent when voting for the president,” senior, Jake Hebbert stated. “When you cast your vote you are not voting for the president, you are voting for delegates to represent the state population, and those delegates don’t have to follow the views of the people that elected them.”

For the first time in decades, Texas is now wavering at the prospect of becoming a swing state. But this year’s presidential election is one of the headaches, arguments, and differing opinions – all within the voters’ households. Especially since issues facing our country are ones that could have a direct impact on our generation. Within the time period surrounding the presidential election, political polarization emerges between families and friends as opinions develop and tempers flare.  

I have been really bothered recently about social media posts and conversations

with friends and family that suggest that they are not going to vote because they don’t like either presidential option,” WHS teacher and League of Women Voters of Tarrant County, Leslee Barnes said. “We are an example of democracy that we encourage other nations to be. And like it or not, we are intertwined with the other nations of the world. We are not isolated anymore and neither are our fates.”

When all is said in done, a person is left to choose between Trump – a businessman prepared to “Make America Great Again” and take on the leadership of this country regardless of his socialite past and the determined Clinton who has been ready to take the role as president with her questionable, yet established political past.

However, the US government is not made up of only one person and voting is crucial to establish the members of a congress to complete the separation of powers. One of these leaders will take on the issues facing our nation. One of these leaders will have their names embedded in history. One of these leaders will help create our future. Your vote matters and it’s up to you, as citizens of the United States of America, to take up your say and vote on November 8th.