WISD Kicks Off 2013-2014 Year

Sophomore, Bridget Ourada was surrounded by WISD teachers as she danced with the Blue Belles.

Weatherford ISD officially kicked off the 2013-2014 year Thursday morning at an exciting ceremony that successfully brought together faculty and staff from all across the district.  WISD’s 2013 convocation featured an eclectic group of Weatherford school supporters including the WHS Band, WHS Cheerleaders, the Blue Belles, School Board of Education members, and Superintendent of Schools, Dr. Jeffrey Hanks.

The morning started with a rousing performance by the band, which added some flair to their set my including songs such as Justin Bieber’s “Beauty and a Beat” and “Starships” by Nicki Minaj, alongside standards that included the WHS school song and fight song.  The enthusiasm of the audience was evident as they sang along, clapped and began a chorus of cheering that continued throughout most of the ceremony.

As the ceremony continued, Superintendent Hanks happily announced a raise for district faculty members and then introduced members of the WISD school board, finding his announcement met with a flurry of grateful applause.

The most moving part of the 2013 convocation, was the annual kindergarten slideshow, featuring the Weatherford High School class of 2026.  The audience was treated to clips of the youngest WISD students, who will soon be served by the many school and community resources which highlight Weatherford’s commitment to being at the forefront of today’s educational practices.

Kevin Tutt, renowned motivational speaker and special guest for the event, spoke to the WISD family about the importance of discovering each student’s potential and maximizing every student’s performance.  Mr. Tutt made use of humor at every opportunity, while also being mindful of the true purpose of the gathering, acknowledging how challenging the days can sometimes be within a public school system.

In the end, the 2013 convocation ceremony perfectly mirrored any WISD classroom.  It was directed and facilitated by Dr. Hanks and other key district adults, but the talent and potential spotlighted throughout the morning belonged solely to Weatherford ISD students.

WISD Kicks Off 2013-2014 Year