Roo Scholarship Report

The April ROO Scholarship Report has new scholarship opportunities.  If you want more information about scholarship opportunities, contact Ms. Hartnett (A-G), Mrs. Trammell (H-O), Mrs. Scott (P-Z), Mrs. Freeman (PASS), or Mrs. Lindsey (CTE).

If you are undecided about your college major or an occupation after graduation, be sure to visit the Career Center and ask about the “Career Cruising” assessment.

Weatherford High School Class of 1958 Scholarship:  The Class of “58” is offering a $1,000 scholarship for students who have an 80 or above in all subjects and have passed their TAKs tests.  Students must also have good attendance.  Students should have participated in at least two clubs or organizations during high school.  Sports may be included to satisfy this extracurricular requirement.  The application requires a transcript, three letters of recommendation, an essay on “My Future Plans and Goals”, and a recent school photograph.  The deadline to apply is April 19.  Applications may be obtained in Admin B.

Region XI School Employees Blood Bank Scholarship:  This scholarship is for $1,000 and is for seniors who have a desire to pursue an education associated with a health care field.  Students will need to provide a completed application, a copy of their transcript, and letters of recommendation from two references.  Awards will be based on the student’s grade point average and financial need.  The deadline to apply is April 13, 2013 and you may pick up an application in Admin B.

Texas E. Schramm Freshman Scholarship:  This scholarship is for outstanding young men planning to attend The University of Texas at Austin.  Students will need to have a phone interview and if selected, they will have a personal interview.  The Scholarship Banquet is held in August and the finalists and winners will be announced at that time.  Students must have a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale, be accepted to The University of Texas at Austin, complete an application, and enclose a copy of their transcript.  Applications are available in Admin B and the application deadline is May 31, 2013.

“Don’t Mess with Texas” Scholarship:  One $3,000 scholarship and two $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to seniors who have taken leadership roles to prevent litter in their schools or communities.  Students will need to fill out an application and write an essay describing their efforts to help with litter-related problems.  The application deadline is April 12, 2013 and applications may be obtained in Admin B.

Jim Bozzell Rotary Community Service Scholarship:  This $1,000 scholarship is for students who have completed community service hours.  The scholarship committee also wants to help students with financial need.  Grades are important even though there is not a GPA requirement.  The application deadline is April 15, 2013.  Applications may be downloaded online at www.weatherfordrotary/org or you may pick up an application in Admin B.  Students will need to submit an essay about how performing community service work has impacted their life.

Texas Business Women of Parker County Scholarship:  Applicants for this scholarship should have a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale and have financial need.  Scholarship recipients are requested to attend the May meeting (the third Thursday of the month) of Texas Business Women of Parker County and be prepared to speak briefly to the club membership about their educational plans and goals.  Awards may be for different amounts based on the student’s qualifications.  The deadline to apply is April 16, 2013.  Applications may be obtained in Admin B.

Calvin Golden Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Scholarships:  Ten $1,000 scholarships will be given to students based on academic, social, and citizenship credentials.  Students must show proof of enrollment in a four year college.  Students must also have a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale, be an African American U.S. citizen living in the DFW Metroplex area, and be available for a personal or phone interview.  The application package requires a completed application, an official transcript, proof of SAT/ACT scores, copy of a college admission letter, and a 250 word essay stating the student’s purpose for applying for the scholarship and how the scholarship can help the student achieve their career goals.  The application deadline is April 2, 2013 so student must act soon.  Applications may be obtained in Admin B.

Ozarka “Every Drop Counts” Earth Science Scholarship:  To be eligible for this scholarship, students should enclose an application, a high school transcript, a completed essay on why they are pursuing a degree in Earth/Environmental Sciences, and have at least a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale.  Earth Science majors include Geology, Hydrogeology, Environmental Science, Environmental Law, Environmental Education, Forestry, Oceanography, and Ecology.  Applications may be obtained in Admin B and must be postmarked before April 3, 2013.

Aspiring Animation Professional Scholarship:  Scholarship opportunities are available for students planning to pursue an education in Animation at a post-secondary school or college.  One $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to a student in Texas.  Applicants must submit an essay with their application.  The application is available on the website at:  www.AnimationCareerReview.com.  The application deadline is June 1, 2013.

FUNDING FACTS

Almost everyone qualifies for some type of Financial Aid.  Be sure to fill out the FAFSA.

80% of private scholarships do not require financial need.

90% of private scholarships are not primarily based on GPA.

The average undergraduate scholarship is worth $5,000.

The federal government offers loan forgiveness for teaching and public service jobs.  See http://studentaid.ed.gov for more information.

Roo Scholarship Report