The Tradition of a Texan Homecoming

On October 6, 2017 past and present Roos gathered at Kangaroo stadium to celebrate homecoming and its traditions that are embedded in the Roo Community

This year’s memorable homecoming was one to go down in Kangaroo history, with the honorable and excited homecoming court nominees, the tradition of the fun homecoming parade, spirited homecoming pep rallies, over-the-top Roo spirit days, and of course the colossal mums and garters that Texans pride themselves on. The attitude and spunk of the Weatherford community towards homecoming this year made for an exciting and eventful week.

The seniors had a difficult time choosing the king and queen with so many wonderful choices. It’s truly an honor for the candidates to even be nominated and selected to be a part of the court.

“Being on homecoming court to me, means being able to humbly represent not only my school or my class, but also my varsity cheer squad, seeing as I’m Co-Captain with my running mate Kolby Kirsten,” said senior Aubrey Dillinger.

During third period on the Thursday of homecoming the student body voted on who they wanted as their senior homecoming King and Queen. During halftime of the varsity game they announced the homecoming king and queen as J.R Wise and Avery Bullock. These two students have the brightest smiles, biggest hearts and symbolize the true meaning of Roo Pride.

Along with the excitement of homecoming for every student at WHS, the Blue Belles and Band are excited for their own separate reasons. The Band has their tradition of the Band Sweethearts, where one senior boy and girl are chosen for to represent the band as a whole. As for the Blue Belles, they have the tradition of the daddy daughter dance on the fifty yard line during homecoming half time.

“Belles makes my homecoming even more exciting because I get to dance with my teammates and best friends and represent my school in a positive way,” said sophomore Bailey Rainey. “Plus on homecoming [we] watch the dads bust out their moves.”

Homecoming proposals, students making a sweet gesture- some more elaborate than others- and asking another student to homecoming, were a trend this year.

“I think Homecoming proposals are cute and meaningful when they are designed specially just to fit you, but not too over the top,” said sophomore Molli West.

As for the mums and garters that Weatherford Texas is so well known for, this year the mums and garters were brighter, bigger, and of course better.

“I like the mums and garters that have flashing blue lights because they are so cute and school spirited,” said junior Chloe O’grady.

While some enjoyed wearing the heavy Texan tradition on their shirts and arms, others weren’t as thrilled about the trend.

“I only enjoy mums and garters when I have one, and this year, well… I don’t.” said sophomore Kaity Hudson.

“By the end of the night I ended up throwing my garter in a lake,” added senior Colton Manning.

Although the Roo football team might have faced a tough loss homecoming night, the energy and school spirit was at an all time high throughout the evening. The WHS Cheerleaders were a great support system through the entire game.

“Having the Freshman and JV cheer squads with us [varsity cheer] at the homecoming game, working together as one big team on homecoming rather than 3 separate teams like usual,” said senior and varsity Cheer Co-Captain Kolby Kirsten. “It gives us unity and Roo Pride.”

Homecoming this year was full of memories that will last a lifetime for the Weatherford Roos. Although the football game didn’t end in a win, the whole week of homecoming the student attitude was loud and proud for the Kangas. The Weatherford Roos are hanging by a thread wondering how they can possibly top this year’s homecoming and dreaming about what’s in store for next year.

The Tradition of a Texan Homecoming