Home of the Brave

Proud to be Red, White, & Roo
Avery Chapman
WHS Kangaroo Mascots proudly display the American Flag.

The crowd stood confused and silent at the Varsity Volleyball game on Tuesday night when the National Anthem failed to play. However, the WHS student section shocked and moved the crowded gymnasium by shattering the awkward silence and singing the anthem when everyone joined in.

Teachers, parents, and even other observing students were awed by the display of patriotism.

“I had chills from head to toe as we all sang LOUD and proud together with our hands over our hearts,” an Arlington Martin fan, Kimberly Spinks Burleson said.

Once the song was over, and everyone sat down, the audience retained their excitement and unity.

“They [the crowd] were screaming and shouting and chanting…it was breathtaking,” junior Courtney Page said.

After the game, teachers and parents bragged on the students’ patriotic actions. Social media platforms quickly filled with different accounts, and it didn’t take long for the majority of the school to buzz about the night’s events.

“My wife and I were there last night as well… Proud to be part of Roo Tradition,” new WHS teacher Dwight Brough said.

Home of the Brave