Student POV – Senior, McKenna Hughes

• What advice do you have for an incoming 9th or 10th grader?

My biggest advice would be not to procrastinate school work as it usually leads to unnecessary stress, set long-term goals of what you want to achieve for the school year or throughout high school so you have a purpose and have something you are reaching for, and to make sure to enjoy and make the most of every second because it really does fly by a lot faster than anticipated.

• What does Roo Nation mean to you?

I have been part of the Roo Nation since the 4th grade and it has been the center of so many memories and lessons in my life. I am so thankful for the opportunities that have been available to me through WISD as I pursue my passions and learn what I want for my future through the help of amazing teachers who have dedicated themselves to cementing my knowledge of whom I will always remember and be thankful.

• How are you involved at school?

I am a member of the National Honor Society, the Science National Honor Society at school, and the UIL spelling and vocabulary team. I also had the honor of being part of the Blue Belle dance team from my freshman through junior year.

• Who or what is your biggest inspiration?

My biggest inspiration is my parents, as they have been my teachers all through my life and taught me some of the most important life lessons a person could learn. They have always emphasized the importance of the agency I have and how I use it, as well as the capability and control I can gain over my life if I prioritize that agency. I am so thankful for the examples they have shown me of how to be a kind person and to strive every day to be the best version of one’s self. I will forever be in their debt for the guidance and kindness they have shown me every day of my life.

• What has been your favorite memory while at WHS?

I don’t have a specific memory that is my favorite, but I’ve gained a lot of memories from the friends I have made while at WHS that have really shaped me into the person I am today and I will forever be grateful. Getting to meet new people and form connections with them is one of the most important things in development as we learn who other people are and who we want to be from their example and I’m grateful that I got to learn that lesson at this school.

• Any highlights this year?

The highlights this school year have definitely been during football season. I loved attending all the games and pep rallies to cheer on the Roos and have a fun time with friends. I love the continual spirit and sense of community in WISD and I have been so grateful that I have been able to participate in it.

• What are your plans after graduation?

I plan to attend Utah State University where I will be working to gain a bachelor’s in mechanical engineering and from there, a master’s in aerospace engineering.

• Favorite quote(s)?

“After all, what can a first impression tell us about someone we’ve just met for a minute in the lobby of a hotel? For that matter, what can a first impression tell us about anyone? Why, no more than a chord can tell us about Beethoven, or a brushstroke about Botticelli. By their very nature, human beings are so capricious, so complex, so delightfully contradictory, that they deserve not only our consideration but our reconsideration—and our unwavering determination to withhold our opinion until we have engaged with them in every possible setting at every possible hour.”

― Amor Towles, A Gentleman in Moscow