Prom Night 2024

Everything You Need to Know

As our Italian exchange student wanders through the halls of Weatherford High School, she is hit by the sheer excitement around her. Prom – a word she knows from movies, yet it’s suddenly a real, upcoming event. Chiara Dagri says, “High School Musical: this is what most European teenagers think about an American Prom.” Hearing snippets of conversation about dresses and dates, and seeing posters decorating the walls, she feels the tension in the air. 

Through her eyes, the world of prom may be different. This night is more than just a dance. It’s something new, a burst of teenage dreams, and a peak into American culture for her. “I am very happy and honored to have the chance to experience a real American prom. In the last few years we in Europe have been trying to import some of your school traditions: for example, my high school last year did a prom, but it ended up being a classical disco night. It was ok but not the same as prom.” Chiara says.

This year’s prom is gonna be a night of pure elegance, themed “24K Gold!” Mark your calendars for May 4th, from 8:00 PM – 11:00 PM. This night is promised to blend sophistication and fun, a golden opportunity to create memories that will last a lifetime. Dress to celebrate the night during the golden hour.

Chosen for this year’s prom, The Brown-Lupton University Union at TCU stands out with its beautiful design. Located at 2901 Stadium Drive, this is one of the highlights of TCU’s campus. It gives students a spacious, high-ceilinged grand ballroom ideal for dancing, alongside smaller rooms suited for dining and conversations. 

The venue’s large windows and contemporary decor add to its appeal. With excellent amenities and both indoor and outdoor spaces, it offers a perfect setting for a memorable prom night.

Dressing for prom requires a keen eye, and as for the ladies, the tendency is usually leaning towards sophisticated full-length dresses that show elegance without the need for extreme slits, low backlines, or revealing pieces, as per the prom dress code. Remember these dresses can show your beauty whilst showing your good taste in clothes. But finding the perfect prom dress can be difficult.

According to Chiara, “I went to Northbaptist church a couple of weeks ago since for a day they had an entire room full of prom dresses, shoes and accessories for free, and after about 10 dresses I found mine.”

For those who like a modern twist, two-piece dresses are a popular choice. Remember to keep the gap between the pieces modest, following the 2-inch rule, and ensure that backless dresses do not hang lower than your waistline. If a shorter dress is more your style, consider a chic midi dress that gracefully complies with the fingertip-length guideline, offering both class and comfort. And remember, see-through material does not count as coverage.

For gentlemen, sophistication is key. A well-tailored tuxedo or suit remains the best choice, staying clear of jeans except for starched cowboy jeans which are an exception. However, if you’re looking to stand out, suppose pairing a stylish blazer with dress pants, and experimenting with textures and colors for an even better look. Accessories like bow ties, pocket squares, or a watch can heighten your outfit. Top hats and cowboy hats are allowed, but no baseball caps.

Grab your tickets between January 19th and May 1st. Early individuals pay $50 through February, then it’s $75 until April 26th. After that, it’s $95. Remember, no sales after May 1st without special permission. Online purchases kick off on January 17th, 2024 – check your email for details and print a receipt. Ms. Sauvage in Admin A is the go-to for tickets with cash, credit, or checks. Also, you need your ID to enter prom!

Prom night is a chance to create unforgettable memories with that special someone. But remember, if your date isn’t from WHS, you’ll need to complete a DATE APPROVAL FORM and get a letter of good standing from their school principal. Dates must be at least a sophomore and under 21. 

If they’re not in high school, you need to show a valid driver’s license or state ID. Change your mind about your date? Update Ms. Sauvage before May 1st, but no changes after that for non-WHS dates.

And remember prom isn’t just about dancing and photos. It’s also time to choose our Prom King and Queen. Seniors, watch your email for the nomination ballot in late April and then vote for your favorites in early May. The winners will be revealed at prom! Remember, prom etiquette is key- everyone will be breathalyzed and pass through a metal detector for safety. Respectful behavior is expected at all times. Once you leave, there’s no coming back in, so make every moment count.

Unfortunately, there are no refunds for tickets, even for discipline issues or plan changes. And this year, you’re in charge of your ride to and from prom, as we won’t provide transportation. Let’s make this a night to cherish, following the rules and enjoying the celebration responsibly!

Let’s make prom a night to remember! It’s our time to shine, so let’s come together, make some amazing memories, and celebrate our high school journey. See you there for a night full of fun and unforgettable moments. Here’s to the WHS Class of 2024!