Student POV

Senior, Peyton Funderburk

What advice do you have for an incoming 9th or 10th grader?

Embrace the journey, learn from your experiences, and keep your eyes on your goals. Don’t hesitate to ask for help or advice from teachers, and definitely get involved. High school is a time for self-discovery, so stay true to yourself and keep a positive mindset.

What does Roo Nation mean to you?

The student body’s support and participation define Roo Nation. From the countless clubs and organizations to the student sections at sports events, the involvement of each student is astonishing.

How are you involved at the school?

Being involved is really important to me! I’m a part of Blue Belles, FFA, Math UIL, NTHS, NHSDA, Key Club, and Student Council. On top of that, I am also enrolled in college and AP classes.

Who or what is your biggest inspiration?

My biggest inspiration is most definitely Aleesha Barrett. I’ve had the honor of having her as my teacher freshman and junior year, as well as being her teacher intern for a few weeks my senior year. Her impact is far beyond the classroom, as it has shaped who I aspire to be. Ms. Barrett has the ability to connect with each student on a personal level, creating a welcoming environment and mutual respect. Her creativity is extraordinary, and she consistently introduces inventive approaches to make learning enjoyable. Ms. Barrett is by far the best singer as well as having the kindest heart. I’m not sure what I’ll do next year, but I hope she knows how much of an impact she has left on me.

What has been your favorite memory while at WHS?

I find it difficult to pick just one memory from the past four years. There’s the countless lunches that were spent laughing instead of eating, or Leigha’s morning hugs during practice. Or Brianna and I being the loudest in a dead silent class, and even playing volleyball in the gym with Mrs. Buckner after our halftime performance. All of these memories remind me of the positives high school has brought me. When I think about my high school experience, I rarely think about the hard essays or calculus tests, I think more of all the memories and friendships that were made!

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduating, I plan on attending Texas Tech University to major in finance!

Favorite quote(s)?

“Find someone who grows flowers in the darkest parts of you” -Zach Bryan