New To The Mob: Mr. Good

WHS has received many new staff members this year. To introduce the new, and some familiar, faces of the 2017-2018 school year, the Grass Burr staff has pieced together a collection of interviews to welcome our new members. Let give a big welcome to our new Band Assistant and Color Guard director, Mr. Justin Good.

Q: What brings you here to Weatherford?

A: I went to Tarleton State University for my undergraduate degree, and during that time I often heard about how great it is at Weatherford ISD . When I found out that there was an opening, I jumped at the opportunity to see what it is all about. So far, I am enjoying it greatly.

Q:  What got your career started as a band and color guard director?

A: I knew from a very young age I wanted to teach. I was always helping others in school along with my younger sister. I had been in fine arts since the age of 10, and wanted to continue with it into college and further. When it came time to go off to college, I thought about how much my band and guard directors had shaped me into the young man I had become, and decided I wanted to do the same. I have never regretted my choice since.

Q: What are you looking forward to this year?

A: I am excited to work with such a large group, since this is my first 6A district to work with. I have seen so much potential in the students I am working with, and want to help grow their skills to be competitive and go into the real world ready for what the world has to offer. I am also excited to work with such a great team of band directors, who have the same goals for the students that I do.

Q: Did you come from a different school. If so, where?

A: Weatherford ISD is the third district I have had the honor of being employed by after time in Melissa and Bowie ISDs.

Q: How are you liking Weatherford so far?

A: I Think WISD is a fantastic district, with support from administration and the entire community. I have been with the Fightin’ Roo Band and Color Guard for only a short time and can’t believe all the people who have reached out to me with compliments and well wishes. The parents have been so helpful, and students have been receptive to my teaching style allowing our to team to improve since starting in June.

Q:  Are you excited for your students to play at the first game?​

A: I am so excited for the band and color guard students to get out under the Friday night lights and show the crowd what we have spent hours working on the last few weeks. I love the first major halftime show each year, because students come off the field filled with adrenaline and pride in the work they have done. [It’s] one of the reasons I enjoy teaching a performing art.

New To The Mob: Mr. Good