“I know it’s not 1984, but can Jake Ryan take you to prom?”

Jake Van Horn and Bianca Peck recap their proposal story
I know it’s not 1984, but can Jake Ryan take you to prom?

The 80’s were a time of music, teen spirit, scrunchies, and questionable fashion choices, but Jake Van Horn’s promposal to Bianca Peck was an act of love fit for the movies.

Peck was walking out of the high school after school, when she heard “If You Were Here” by the Thompson Twins, the last song from the Classic 80’s movie, 16 Candles, playing out loud. That was when she saw Van Horn leaning against her truck holding a sign that said, “I know it’s not 1984, but can Jake Ryan take you to prom?”

“I ran up to him and hugged and kissed him saying yes and he gave me a bouquet of flowers,” Peck said. “I was really surprised, I had no idea he was going to do something so sweet and thoughtful, he always keeps me on my toes and it was honestly so perfect.”

Van Horn was named after the character “Jake Ryan” from 16 candles, and the movie has played a special role in their relationship. One of the first movies they saw together as a couple was 16 Candles.

“I’ve always called him my Jake Ryan. And if you’ve ever seen 16 candles you would know that means he’s the guy I love and would do anything for,” Peck said.

Peck and Van Horn are both seniors and Jake decided to include Bianca’s friends in both the planning of the promposal and having several of them present when he asked her to capture the moment via Snapchat.

“I thought it was special because it was personal. I wanted to do something that would mean something to her,” Van Horn said.

The couple has been dating over 3 months after they met in PALS class and have grown closer together through church worship at North Side Baptist. But they are both hoping to enjoy the last lingering moments of high school at prom later in the spring.
“I’m most excited [for prom] about dancing and making the most of the night with friends and having a last big memory before graduation.” Peck said while Van Horn said, “I am looking forward to the dancing mostly. I’ve been working on a few moves that I think are pretty great so I’m ready to show them off. Bianca better be ready because I don’t think she’s ever seen “turnt Jake.”