Friends We’re Thankful For: Ashland Rector and Skylar Bomberger

Friends Were Thankful For: Ashland Rector and Skylar Bomberger

True friendship, something that everyone experiences in their lifetime, is something humans cling to in order to facilitate an expanded familial feel, is a bond like no other. When one feels depressed, frustrated, overwhelmed, or terrified, they rely on their closest friend to stand by their side, to understand them without judgment, and to walk alongside each other through the ups and downs. This week in our “Friends We’re Thankful For” series, seniors Ashland Rector and Skylar Bomberger, two girls who are now successful women in their senior year of high school, shared with us the workings of their unique friendship.

“Me and Skylar met freshman year because we were in Belles together and on the same squad together,” Rector said.In meeting each other through the Blue Belles organization, the two were able to create lasting memories together. Sometimes, individuals forget to say how grateful we are to have our best friend with us in our life.

In meeting each other through the Blue Belles organization, the two were able to create lasting memories together. However, the memories they share remain rooted in their appreciation for each other’s similar personalities.

“We are both very much alike with our senses of humor as well as our families and just about every aspect. She’s kinda like my other half sister, and I know that sounds so basic and lame, but I mean it’s true she’s like the only person I would want to hang out with every day,” Bomberger said.

Further, their abundance of shared characteristics retains a unique aspect as the girls share a similar ideology and logic.

“Our friendship is so unique because we’re both the same person and think the exact same thing. We can finish each other’s sentences and know how one feels before the other even says a word,” Rector said.

Reliable and loyal, the pair shares a sense of trust that is unlike most bonds, it pervades the superficial aspects of a young relationship.

“She’s the friend who lives my crazy moments with me, the friend who gets me when my car is stuck, the friend who cries when I cry. If I didn’t have her, I’d be lost,” Rector said.

As Rector is so happy for the friendship she shares with Bomberger, they display an unbroken demeanor.

“I’m thankful that both of us have always remained in each other’s life, even in our fights. I’m thankful that God has brought us to each other to help strengthen our faith. I’m thankful for the midnight drives and the prayers we pray together. She is my best friend but it feels more like a sister,” Rector said.

A shared sense of gratefulness graces their dynamic, especially during this very reflective and thankful time of year.

“I’m thankful for all our memories and even when we weren’t as close we both could overcome that and still be actually closer than we ever were before. So I guess I’m just thankful for the entire friendship,” Bomberger said.