Senior, Shifflett Shows and Succeeds at the State Fair

(Say that 5 times fast)

Over the past three weeks the Texas State Fair has been in full swing, and the FFA has been an active part of its annual livestock competitions.

Senior, Avery Shifflett was the first to kick off the show, showing her breeding pig.

“I love showing at the state fair because I get to be an advocator for agriculture by informing the people there about why I do things and how I raise my animal,” Shifflett said.     

Avery has been showing for nine years and placed fourth out of her class this year.

“I spend one to two hours with my animals a day,” Shifflett said.

The ability for these members to exude responsibility in their dedication to their livestock projects is notable, additionally; it teaches them to balance out school and their extracurricular activities. Because a living animal is dependent on them, missing ‘practice’ isn’t an option.

FFA members have been known to place very well in their perspective classes, and this year was no exception.

“Students have done exceedingly well this year, and further developed their showmanship skills,” Mrs. Jennings, agricultural education advisor, said. “This year we have placed Reserve Grand Champion Shorthorn Heifer, second in class Hereford Heifer, fourth place breeding gilt, and first in class Breeding Ewe.”

The FFA was well represented this year, and is very proud of its members accomplishments.

“I am absolutely thrilled with this year’s fair,” Mrs. Jennings said.