The Technological Impacts

The Technological Impacts

Google celebrated its 16th birthday recently. Now for most, it’s hard to imagine life without the internet’s help; in fact, it has become a necessity in our academic and personal life.

One of the largest technological changes has been the creation of social media. Along with being able to broadcast to a large audience, with a few clicks a person can access the surface, and sometimes more, of an person’s entire life. Personal connections simplify by likes and followers, and research has shown that some students spend up to nine hours a day online. But even so, this new technology allows connection previously unavailable to open communication in the country. Everyone from family members, potential employers, internet stalkers, and college admission workers are able to see what a person decides to “like”, post, snap, and tweet, which catalyze lasting effects.

“I think it is fair that college admission workers can see your social media because if a student is going to post something on the internet it is already in the public’s view,” junior, Bryanna O’keeffe said. “Furthermore, if you don’t want a college to see what you are posting on social media, you shouldn’t be posting it.”

Aside from the major privacy and safety concerns, many personal issues may arise as well. Studies have proven that social media can alter self-esteem and conflict with a person’s ability to think independently. An estimated 1 in 3 young adults experience some form of cyberbullying. Even if a person has never felt personally threatened, everyone can be susceptible to the emotional straint of social media.

“There are so many positive parts to social media platforms,” sophomore, Bailee Wilson said. “But it’s also a place filled with conflict and hate. It’s hard to see negative hateful things and not become a negative person. It’s hard to get cyber bullied and think nothing of it. Most of all, it’s hard not to see someone beautiful and not look at yourself with disappointment. Social Media has become a place where you lose yourself in chaos.”

Another bridge created around the advancements in technology has been its influence in our educational system. Report Cards, registrations, tests, and lesson plans are all online now. Even the school newspaper made its online switch in 2012. As mentioned earlier, the internet has become a crucial part of a student’s life, broadening both a student’s capability in what can be achieved and the disadvantage of those students who haven’t been supplied with the resources or knowledge to grow with the era of technology.

“Technology has improved our education by widening the resources available to us,” junior, Blake Grove said. “I have been able to learn music quicker as well as communicate with people easier.”

Today, it’s hard to imagine what it would be like without being able to send

a friend, or even a teacher, a text asking about last night’s homework but in some cases technology plays an even bigger role. This is where Mrs. Thompson’s very unique class is introduced. Through hard work and collaboration, Mrs. Thompson simultaneously blends education and technology, creating a class based entirely online allowing students to work at their own pace.  Even her classroom received a modernized update to contribute to the students learning and productivity.

“School in 2016 often looks too much like school did in 1916,” AP Government/Economics and Political Science teacher, Mrs. Thompson said. “I am passionate about making sure we are preparing students to contribute to the 21st century. That includes teaching the content in new, relevant ways and changing the ways assignments look…Assignments are designed to be authentic and engaging.”

Although it may seem that the basic one-on-one fundamentals of teaching are lacking, the students in her class seem to thrive in this new environment which presents a way of teaching that reflects the technological modernization of our nation.

“Our generation has greatly benefitted from technology,” senior, Andrew McNay said. “We can learn more, do more, and become more as technology gives us access to large amounts of information.”

The Technological Impacts