North Side Slays in Florida

This summer, over 150 students took to four charter buses and drove 725 miles to Panama City Beach, Florida for their church camp hosted through North Side Baptist Church.

The trip started with a grueling drive that took the students through five states and endured for roughly 17 hours.

“The drive was long but definitely enjoyable with us talking. We bonded more as a youth group, enjoyed the buffet food, and played catch phrase,” junior, Ashton Smith said.

Once the bible squad arrived at camp, the adjustment from charter bus to cabin was fairly easy for most of the campers. Only a few hours after departing from the buses, the students ate dinner and went to their first camp worship.

“The best part of the whole trip was definitely worship, the band was amazing,” senior AJ Lindsey said.

The camp took place within walking distance from the beach, where rec games and free time were both typically held.

“A day in Florida was very fun between going to rec and small groups, but very hot,” sophomore, Mckinleah Mitchell said. “My most essential camp supply was my sunscreen.”

The week was full of transformation for the campers and a great place for laughter, worship, and fellowship.

“I took home what I needed to start off the school year strong,” sophomore, Grace Larvin said when asked what she learned that transferred to her life back in Texas.

Throughout the week, the camp saw two baptisms in the ocean and the campers were even able to see their pastor, Van Houser, do a backflip into the water.

“So, I guess you could say it was a long and exciting week,” sophomore, Kelley Ann Geyer said.   

North Side Slays in Florida