New Year, New You?

How to Keep your Resolution
Getty Images
Start on January 1

With a week behind us in the new year of 2017, many people succumb to the trend of making a New Year’s Resolution. For some (like myself), the resolutions proved to be a colossal failure within the first 72 hours in the new year. However, below is a list of ways to increase your chances of validating and fulfilling your new year promise in hopes of being a better, newer, improved you.

1. Write the Resolution Down.

Studies show that the act of physically writing down specific goals increases the chance of the goal becoming a reality.

1. Make the Goal Specific.

If the goal possesses a great deal of specificity and detail, it is more likely that it will yield a successful outcome. Suddenly, a large and broad concept has more focus in regards to how the goal will be attained.

1. Set a Deadline.

By setting deadlines to finish a given part of the larger goal, you are pressing yourself to avoid procrastination.

1. Have a Partner who will Perpetuate Accountability.

If you have a buddy undergoing a similar resolution, utilize their likeness to your benefit by holding each other accountable in times of lackluster motivation.

1. Break Goals into more Manageable Tasks

This promotes the ease to which you will achieve the larger goal. The breaking up of the grander resolution satiates motivation as the task of the resolution loses its daunting demeanor through the series of smaller tasks.

1. Treat yourself.

Reward yourself for the progress to enable a heightened morale. If the resolution aligns with eating healthy and losing weight, don’t be afraid to eat the sporadic pastry as a way to reward yourself for the gains made.

1. Have Checkpoints to Re-Evaluate Progress.

Similar to the time frame rule, the checkpoints promote awareness of how much you’ve progressed or declined in the journey of self-betterment.

New Year, New You?