HST Is the Place To Be

Want a real #whywisd? Our Health Science department not only prepares students for their future medical career, but allows them to understand the importance and need for this critical career.

The “best part about being in HST is just being able to express our passion of being in the medical [field] with our classmates and having Hoffman and Pate helping us reach our future goals” junior, Lizette Martinez, said.

Because there are many different areas in the medical field, the variety of rotation sites and opportunities give hands on experience for WHS students to figure out what they want to focus on in their future.

“HST has helped me decide which area in the medical field I want to be in,” senior Ellie Larvin said. “I really want to be a nurse practitioner and hopefully end up in the cosmetic dermatology field”.

There are three levels of classes you can take in HST. The first and second year involve learning the basic medical terminology, anatomy, and getting CRP certified. In the second semester of HST, year two, rotations start. The third year is a year to choose to be either a CNA, EMT, or Pharmacy Tech.

“This class showed me that an EMT is what I’ve always dreamed to be. Hoffman has set up our paperwork for EMT and helped us every step of the way,” senior, Alex Field, said.

As each student is drawn towards different specialities, the teachers here at WHS work with all their students to prepare them for the workforce.

“I have a job at Tackett Pharmacy [and] I basically just go to work for rotations and fill prescriptions” Larvin said.

There are so many opportunities around the Parker County area, and Mrs. Hoffman and Dr. Pate go above and beyond to find all different kinds of sites for their students.

“On EMT rotations we will be on the ambulance, taking vital signs, checking glucose levels, listening for lung sounds, and hooking people up to the EKG” said Field.

The Health Science program is doing amazing work, bringing excitement about the future while simultaneously preparing their students for significant jobs.

“[The] best part about being in HST is just be able to express our passion of being in the medical with our classmates and having Hoffman and Pate helping us reach our future goals,” said Martinez.

HST Is the Place To Be