Shooting For Gold

Junior Mindy Miles aspires to make the Olympics for Precision Shooting. 

by Cheyenne Ponticelli

Mindy Miles is just an everyday teen with everyday concerns. But there is one thing that separates this WHS student from the rest. This past December, Miles went to the Jr. Olympics and Olympic trials for precision shooting.

“It was a calm atmosphere,” Miles said. “It was inspiring and intimidating being around so many people, but everyone was really nice and helpful, offering advice to get better.”

Miles said she wanted to go for the experience and be around others who had the ability to make the Olympics. At the trials they weren’t separated by age, the limit being college students, but by shooting ability.  Out of 1000 people, only 100 made the final trials, Miles was one of them.

“It was just match experience,” Miles said. “It was two days long and we only shot four times, twice for practice and then twice for the trials.”

Her muse for shooting is her father. He encouraged her to start in eighth grade saying it would be a good experience for her. She chose to shoot air rifle, which is a rifle that doesn’t have a primer and an explosion. Instead, there is an air cylinder that pumps air in to shoot out the pellet.

“My dad wanted me to start shooting,” Miles said. “He shot pistol in college and thought it would be good for me.”

Miles has spent three years in the 4-H Shooting Sports program and has practiced daily with her friend Sydney Casey. Miles and her friend also mentor new kids to the program and help them with shooting until they can become mentors to other kids.

“I’m mentoring a little boy right now,” Miles said. “He’s 12 and its so much fun teaching him how to shoot.”

4-H Shooting Sports is a national program for youth marksmanship. It teaches safe and responsible use of firearms along with the principles of hunting and archery. It provides youths with opportunities to develop life skills, self-worth, and conservation ethics.

“I didn’t make either of the Olympics,” Miles said. “But I hope that if I keep practicing and working with it, someday I’ll be good enough to make the Olympics.”

Shooting For Gold