Under The Lights: Three Classic Football Movies

Everybody loves that classic football movie that you can watch over and over, that never gets old. Here are a few of favorites from The Grassburr staff:

The Blind Side- After coming from a rough and harsh household , Michael Oher is taken in by the well-to-do Tuohy family.  Oher is offered a chance at a better life, and he is introduced to football, which will eventually lead him to a successful career that no one could have imagined. Sandra Bullock’s Academy Award winning performance and classic good looks, along with Quinton Aaron’s phenomenal performance make The Blind Side a film that will capture audiences long after Oher’s real life career fades.

Friday Night Lights- Friday Night Lights is another movie based on a real life story, but this one paints a less idealic picture of Texas football. H. G. Bissinger’s famed work has been seamlessly adapted into this depiction of a town that hangs its collective dreams on a group of seventeen and eighteen year old boys who try to withstand the massive pressure. This is a serious drama about football; with the great performances from Billy Bob Thorton, Lucas Black, and Derek Luke.  However, one stand out performance is the big screen debut of Tim McGraw who plays a father torn between the pride he feels for his son, and the disappointment he  feels for a life that peaked with a high school state championship.

Rudy- Rudy follows the story of a steel mill worker who is inspired to follow his dreams of playing on the Notre Dame football team, by the death of his coworker.  Rudy refuses to quit as he works his way up from community college into the prestigious school.  This moving drama peaks when the entire Notre Dame team can be seen lined up outside of their coach’s office waiting to give up their jerseys and roster spot so that Rudy can play in his last game at the school.  The movie’s final credits explain that Rudy remains the only player Notre Dame player to be carried off the field. With a great pre-hobbit performance by Shawn Aston and a heartwarming story, Rudy is a can’t miss classic.