Girls Run the World… or at least the CC Meets

Running mile after mile with the thud of tired and dirty tennis shoes ringing in their ears, varsity cross country athletes, Hanul Lewis, Anna Wilson, and Reagan Boerner have the tendency to sprint their way to victory after victory. Between the unending miles and effort, the reward of placing after the sticky sleepiness of morning meets prevails.

“[Being an underclassmen on varsity] actually feels really good. It just feels like I’ve succeeded,” sophomore Lewis said.

Despite the sore muscles and the overbearing glisten of resulting toil, the girls remain motivated in their work ethic.

“I’m really competitive, so I don’t like to lose,” Lewis said.”I [also] think about all the other schools, and I really want to go to state.”

The girls also thrive as they work toward faster times, quicker feet, and speedy sprints.

“My goal is to break six minutes on a mile,” Wilson said.

Despite having individual goals that motivate them, they all share one large goal, one which fuels their effort and drives them to work to their limits.

“My goal is to break 21,” Boerner said. “[I also want] the girls and the guys to both make it to regionals this year.”

They may be separate, but the bonding of the team and the collective goal to progress drives the group toward results that win.

“Cross country is more of a team sport, because it’s all about getting your team to regionals and beyond,” Boerner said.