Review: The Mortal Instruments

Since the beginning of the era of movie entertainment, producers have been turning best selling and classical books into silver screen sensations. But in recent years most have missed the bar in keeping to the story line of the books they are based on. Few readers of the books are ever satisfied with the end result when they see the film and compare the two.  Luckily, most Mortal Instruments fans will be more than satisfied when the see the movie based off the New York Times best seller City of Bones.

They Mortal Instruments: City of Bones is a thrilling story of a young New Yorker who stumbles into a secret world of Demons, Downworlders, and Shadowhunters- a race of humans who have the blood of the Arch-Angel Raziel and hunt the creatures that everyone just thought were stories. When Clary Frey (played by Lily Collins) decides to go out clubbing with her best friend Simon (played by Robert Sheehan) to celebrate her birthday, she witnesses what she thinks is a murder. When the three teens disappear as well as their victim, Clary starts to think she’s going crazy, that is, until one of them confronts her. Soon after her mother Jocelyn Frey (played by Lena Heady) is kidnapped and she has no choice but to join up with young Shadowhunters Alec (played by Kevin Zegers) Isabelle (played by Jemima West) and Jace (played by Jamie Campbell-Bower) to find out what happened to Jocelyn and why she hid this world from her.

Unlike most book-based movies, they story lines we identically and were played out in almost exactly the same way. Even details and scenes that some would think unimportant to the story line were included, keeping the movie true to the original story. Some of the scenes came together even better than what I could have even hoped to imagine.  It truly brought to life the idea of a hidden world just under the surface of our own.

To anyone who is looking for an entertaining movie with a lot of excitement and a few laughs, this would definitely be a great choice, and an excellent read for anyone who isn’t all that interested in movies. Both are perfect for just about anyone weather they want something that gets them sitting on the edge of their seat or wants to see a little romance.  The City of Bones is a great choice for just about everyone.

Review: The Mortal Instruments