Similar, but Different

RISE Students Raise the Bar

The RISE Academy, recently established this school year, provides students with another way to graduate early or on time in the scenario of prior academic deterioration. As RISE students sit in a four-hour block class away from the school atmosphere, RISE possesses similarities to PASS; however, Mrs. Patterson, a director of the Rise Academy, contributes to the program by providing clarification surrounding the differences.

“The RISE Academy is a four-hour block period; it’s all online classes.  The [students] stay in their classroom all morning, or all afternoon.  They can work at their own pace, switch subjects throughout the day, [but] they don’t get to participate in school activities like pep rallies, passing periods, or Mega Lunch. But they can still participate in outside school activities like prom and football games,” Patterson said.    

The RISE Academy fits a certain type of student. These students focus better under a quiet environment and autonomously finish assignments without outside distractions or classroom collaboration.  

“It’s a different atmosphere. Some kids don’t like the standard classroom. It’s just [the student]. If any student has a question, there is a certified teacher in the room to help, with whatever subject,  and if an instructor needs help there are staff members who can assist them,” Patterson said.

RISE requires a need, or for individuals to be in a certain situation, that would qualify them for the option to choose RISE as their learning pathway. RISE students possess a moderate work ethic.

“We have an application process.  This is for our [students] who have children themselves, who support themselves, and enrolled themselves because of discipline issues that would rather be in an isolated room to not worry about the outside environment,”  Patterson said.

Along with a few stipulations in joining RISE, there are requirements of age.  

“You have to be 16 years of age, must have a need, and we have limited seating of only 40 slots,”  Patterson said.

Similar, but Different