Mrs. Thompson’s Takeover

Thompson Recounts the First Month as a New Assistant Principal
Mrs. Thompsons Takeover

Mrs. Macie Thompson has taught Sociology, Psychology, Government, Economics, Debate, AP Government, and AP Economics in her four years of teaching. As she is wonderfully well-rounded and has significant connections with her students,  it is no surprise that when the school was in need of a new assistant principal on such short notice, she rose to the top. Mrs. Thompson has spent the month of January adjusting to her new career and all the perks along the way.

After teaching so exceptionally for so many years, it is no surprise that it would be hard for Mrs. Thompson to give up something she was so passionate about.

“I miss creating lessons. Finding a fun way to teach challenging material was always a task I enjoyed. I also miss the amazing students I had in class last semester. This is a great group of seniors this year and I had fun teaching them,” Thompson said.

The doors that have been opened to her with her new position have made up for her leave from the classroom. Administration has an overview of more of the school, and allows for her to see more students and make greater change.

“I really like seeing all the parts of the school working together to help students succeed,” Thompson said. “I am also enjoying being able to be a resource for both students and teachers. I get to work with a variety of people in my new role.”

Going in on the first day of such a huge change can be difficult, but Thompson held her head high and embraced her new position.

“I was definitely excited. I knew I had a lot to learn, but I was excited to get started,” Thompson said. “I was surprised to find out how busy assistant principals are every day. I have been tracking way more steps on my FitBit since I started in my new role.”

Thompson has already faced a wide variety of challenges and triumphs in her first month in administration.

“The morning that the lights were off when we started school was an interesting way to start the day. That is a situation I had never considered before. Our admin team and teachers were ready with a plan,” Thompson said.  “My very first day on the job, I testified in truancy court regarding student attendance. That was something new for me. I had never ‘taken the stand’ before.”

Despite a very big transition and a wide variety of new tasks and things to learn, Mrs. Thompson has loved the first month on the job and anticipates many more.

“I am very happy where I am now. I know I have a lot to learn as a new administrator and I am very grateful to be able to work with such great teachers and an awesome admin team. I feel really good about my new role on campus. I am excited to continue to learn and grow here.” Thompson said.

Mrs. Thompson’s Takeover