‘Cut for the Cure’ Fights Against Pulmonary Fibrosis

Pulmonary Fibrosis, a disease that only few people know about, was recently acknowledged as cosmetology teacher, Ms. Angela Henard, raised awareness for the cause. Because September is pulmonary fibrosis awareness month, the charity ‘Cut for a Cure’ took place at the ninth grade center under the direction of Henard and her cosmetology class.

“The reason why I decided to host ‘Cut for a Cure’ is because January 2015 my father passed away from Pulmonary Fibrosis, “ Henard said. “There is no cure for the disease and many people are not aware what Pulmonary Fibrosis is. I had no idea what it was until my father passed away. It took his life in three months and it was heartbreaking watching him go downhill so fast. He was only 56 years old,” Henard said.

As the cosmetology department undertook this event, they were able to make others happy while earning proceeds for the cause.

“This is the first time we did the event; I do plan on making it an annual thing. September is Pulmonary Fibrosis awareness month so we will probably do it every September,”Henard said.

With unfamiliarity surrounding this issue, Henard felt obligated to spread the message to others.          

“Ever since I found out about pulmonary fibrosis, I have wanted to spread awareness because my family had no idea what it was. I wish I would have known about it before my dad passed away. I had no idea what he was dealing with was as serious as it was. Of course I hope there is a cure one day,” Henard said.

Henard was so determined to show everyone the implications of this gruesome disease; she wanted to give these families a little hope toward finding a cure with the money they raise.

“This event does bring hope to others because we donated all the money to Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation for research in hope that they find a cure. At the very least research will help people to maintain a good life while they have the disease,” Henard said.

The money they raised isn’t for them to keep as all the money goes towards the cure and for those fighting against the ailment.

“The clients paid directly to the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation which is a nonprofit organization. The Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation mobilizes people and resources to provide access to high quality care and leads research for a cure so people with pulmonary fibrosis will live longer, healthier lives,” Henard said.

Not only  was she proud of herself, Henard is also proud of her student with all the hard work they did. Putting their heart into this, made Henard have joy and faith. Even though she lost her father, it gave her a heart to help other.

“We raised over $200 in just one day, that made me so happy. I am very proud of my students for all their hard work,” Henard said.