Junior Wrestler Travels to Eastern Europe for Worlds

As she tenaciously wrestles with a fluid 88-pound figure, Erin Mance sweats her way to another seamless pin on the mat. What began innocently three years ago now grows as her journey to the World Championships in Tbilisi, Georgia is a testament to her sacrifices along the way.

Mance, one of very few representing the United States and the only one representing Texas, overcomes the challenges of an unrelenting opponent.

“I am very excited for the opportunity to represent my country,” Mance said.  

Although the plane ride across the world is a seemingly endless adventure, Mance remains optimistic at the prospect of rest and the chance to get ahead in school back home.

“The plane ride is a whole day. We get off in Munich and then fly again to Georgia for a total of 20 to 24 hours.,” Mance said.

As her absence extends for an 18 day period overseas, Mance underscored her intent to go without the distractions of social media.

“The whole purpose for me being at Worlds is to compete,” Mance said. I must be in complete focus while I am there.  Of course, I would like to share my experiences, while I am in the moment, but they will have to wait for later.”