WHS Student Council Raises Cancer Awareness

Juniors Casey Padgett and Cheyenne Wagner wear white to raise awareness for lung cancer.

In honor of Cancer Awareness Month, the Student Council’s Fit 4 Life committee encouraged students to dress in specified colors, which have been chosen to represent growing awareness of certain types of cancer.  Students responded with an overwhelming show of support for this important initiative, as the halls were painted with each day’s color.

“The whole point of this is to raise awareness,” WHS Junior and Fit 4 Life Committee Captain Sanu Khadka said.

The committee chose five cancers and their representative colors to execute this new initiative.   On Monday, students wore orange in the name of leukemia. Tuesday, purple was set for pancreatic cancer. Wednesday was teal for ovarian cancer, Thursday lung cancer was represented by white, and Friday will be lime green to raise awareness of lymphoma.

Khadka added that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and students will get to  “pink out” next month in order to show support for the many women in all of our lives who have bravely faced the illness.

There are many members of the WHS community who are struggling with the realities of cancer in either their own bodies or those of loved ones.  The profound effect that cancer has had on our school certainly acts as a encourager for both students and staff to participate.